Saturday, March 20, 2010

"The Madness": Day 2 recap and Day 3 preview

RIP- Neil's Bracket: 3/16/10 - 3/19/10

Well it was fun while it was lasted. My bracket always takes much more time to create than it does to destroy. With 5 of my Sweet 16 teams already gone (including 1 that I had in the Elite 8) my bracket can be laid to rest for another 360 days or so, when i'm sure to create another masterpiece gone terribly wrong.

The 1st round of the NCAA Tournament is officially over. There are some interesting matchups in Round 2 for today and tomorrow, but let's look at a few of yesterday's games before moving ahead...

No real upsets on Friday
#4 Wisconsin ALMOST lost to #13 Wofford (who?), and #5 Michigan St. barely beat #12 New Mexico St. But with the exception of Temple, all teams seeded 5 or better took care of business.Temple lost to #12 Cornell, but several people were calling that one anyway. Not to mention that a 12 seed has beaten a 5 seed in 20 of the last 22 tournament. Nothing shocking here.

Former-UK faces were sent packing on Friday
Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Travis Ford are all "gone fishin'" as of last night.

- Tubby and Minnesota were took down at the hands of Xavier.

- I think almost everyone predicted a win for Slick Rick's squad and a Round 2 showdown with Coach K. Instead, California handled the Dirty Birds with ease.

- In a moment of genius, the Cowboys of Oklahoma St. were my suprise pick to the Elite 8. Instead, they got flat out spanked by Georgia Tech. I still wish Matt Pilgrim was at UK though.

Day 3
8 games on the menu for today. I see some games where somebody should have their finger on the "upset alert" button.

- #10 Saint Marys vs. #2 Villanova
If Villanova plays like they did on Thursday, they WILL lose. If Robert Morris can take them to OT, this Saint Marys squad will beat them by 10+ if Nova isn't able to shape up after the near upset.

- #13 Murray St. vs. #5 Butler
Maybe its a Kentucky bias, but i'm feeling an upset here too. Don't worry, i'm not going TOO far out on a limb...I just think it's a possibility.

- #14 Ohio vs. #6 Tennessee
I don't see an upset here, i'm just REALLY hoping for one. I think UT's much better than a 6 seed and Ohio can be content with their 1 huge upset.

- #11 Washington vs. #3 New Mexico
New Mexico definitely looked good on Thursday, but a Mid-Major as a 3 seed just scares me. Earlier in the week Tyler asked the question of which team seeded 10 or lower in the tourney has a shot at making some noise, and Washington was my pick.

- #11 Old Dominion vs. #3 Baylor
I honestly don't have any logic behind this one. Just a feeling.

So there you have it. Villanova, New Mexico, Butler, and Baylor...you've been warned!

2 comments:

  1. Ricky P. has killed me! We both said watch out for the Huskies, see Neil if we would only listen to ourselves hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Villanova goes down! I'm going to have to quit giving these picks away for free!

    ReplyDelete