Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Got News for You Two.....


Now don't let the title think I am attacking you guys lol. Neil and Tyler, I have read both of your arguments, and they're both compelling. Now being that my opinion is still not changed, I will tell you why I still agree that the mid-major won't be as competitive in the upcoming years, when it comes to the final four. Remember, I said "FINAL FOUR". Maybe, the squirrel will find a nut and cause some upsets, but it won't be "final four worthy".


Neil- The "one and done" rule will help more than hinder, reasoning behind:

1. Some of those players that might have went on to the NBA are now going to college for a year, these players can help win a national championship. i.e. Carmelo Anthony.

2. All these big names will go to teams in power conferences. The "little man" will get lost in the shuffle.

3. Coaches once exposed to the mid-major usually end up at power conferences after they show they can coach. Mark Few, is the exception. This means some coaches who go to power conferences, are proned to look at not only the "one and done's" but the "leftovers" as well. i.e. Thad Matta, when at Xavier he got "leftovers" to play well for him, and now he gets some players like Evan Turner during recruitment and he turned out to be a star! He was ranked #49 by ESPN in the class of '07. He turned out to be pretty good under a coach that learned at the mid-major level.



Tyler- I love your opinion on buying into the system at the right time; and your right, the parity this year was great. However, you are looking at a year when teams like N.C., UCONN, and UCLA were all down. This isn't going to happen year after year. The perennial powers will be back to the forefront next year.


You see, what your saying will happen, about every 5 to 10 years. I think we saw a year when like I said in my post, you found that special mix. Let see what kind of schedule Butler has next year and if Brad Stevens stays. I give them credit they beat some good teams, but lets face it this year, didn't have the "big dogs" at their best.


I just feel like talent will still rise to the top, history shows it. I could be wrong but I just feel the mid-major's don't have the same talent as the power conferences, fluxuate in coaching too often to stay competitive, and it take that special team to find that chemistry you talk about.


- So guys that is only my opinion, you guys have valid arguments; but lets just see if they can have the same success year after year before we say mid major teams will be getting to the final four as much as power conferences. History tells us it doesn't happen often. Lets let them make more history before we predict history.



Until Next Time, Adios!

16 comments:

  1. You are spot on the history argument and the fact that UNC, UCLA, UCONN, Indiana, Louisville, etc. were all down, but all I am saying is that if any team is playing well than they have a chance to make a deep run, mid major, blue blood, whatever, that is the point I'm making, but all in all, you are right about the fact that the "powers" will be back, and you're probably right, but that doesn't mean that they will be in the Final Four. Gotta love healthy debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true, and you were right Butler came together at the right time, my only question is can things like that happen to mid-major's year after year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That't the question, but I also apply that to the top tier teams, whatever Tom Izzo does before the tournament should be boxed up and sold on HSN, because they are horrible during the season, and somehow manage to make the Final Four nearly every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top of the rankings will always be filled with familiar faces. But I just believe that the "big dogs" aren't going to be as big and bad as they used to be on a consistant basis, due to the fact that blue chip recruits (who wouldn't even be playing college ball if they weren't forced to) are going to be spreading out and going to different schools.

    In my post I used Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, and Derrick Favors as examples. HUGE talent skipping over the powerhouse schools to go play for smaller teams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I can't wait to see Morehead in the final four Borders....hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. your contradicting yourself, because the players you just mentioned all went to power conferences.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't the one and done rule push players into college sports? This means there are more talent to choose from and all the teams, even mid-majors, will have a step up in talent. (Talent usually stays 4 years at a mid-major school) As for the young talent (freshman) winning championships, isn't Carmelo the only one and done player to win a championship in like the last ten years. 1 out of 10 is not a good ratio. Give me a veteran team any day, forget the one and done "superstars".
    A mid-major will win the NCAA tournament within the next 5 years. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I call anonymous! I'm willing to make that bet anytime you are willing to show your identity! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe people actually think mid-major's are now going to be in final four as frequently as teams from power conferences.....Just remember teams like UNC, UConn, UCLA, and some others weren't that strong this year......Remember, if the tourney expands to 96 teams......the mid-major's will prob have to play an extra game, while power conferences sit with a bye.....Bandwagon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No band wagon here, just stating the facts. Mid-majors are getting more talent to. There talent stays 4 years. All championship teams the last ten years been veteran laden teams. Even Duke this year. My identity for now is hidden, but you do know me pretty good. lol
    My point is that all the one and done players push away good talent from power conferences, and they have to go to school somewhere else (mid-majors). This results in a step up in talent across the board. I agree the power conferences will be more talented year in and out, but mid-majors will have their years, just not every year.
    Remember the one and done rule makes the talent pool BIGGER as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My point is that all the one and done players push away good talent from power conferences, and they have to go to school somewhere else (mid-majors).

    I don't think four year players choose mid major's over power conferences. Power Conferences may not recruit some of the four year players you speak of because they're not good enough. Shelvin Mack is a good example, he was not thought of as a player who could play in a power conference, but he went to a mid-major and DEVELOPED more than he would at a power conference....so I give you that.

    But he is like a "1 out of 100" chance that, that would happen.

    See you made my point as well, "not every year" that is what my counterparts were trying to say. I'm not saying they won't have success every once in a while, just not on a yearly basis...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't contradict myself. Yes they went to power conferences but they went to traditionally crappy teams. Thats the whole point I'm making: The talent is being spread out more now than ever. Baylor got a 3 seed this year and made the Elite Eight, and they've got one of the top 5 players in the country coming in next year. Sure they're in the Big 12 but it's Baylor for goodness sake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And of course a mid-major won't get in EVERY year. Just like the ACC and Big East won't get a team in every year. So yeah you are right about that much. I'm saying it's going to happen more often. I also think it's just a matter of time before a 5 star recruit signs with a mid-major...an A-10 team perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its me again margret. Shelvin mack got hurt and schools were afraid to take a chance on him.

    I'm just trying to say that the one and done rule is expanding the talent everywhere, not just at the "power conference" level.
    A college team is only allowed so many scholarships, and those scholarships are now being taken up by players who would of went straight to the NBA. This adds more players to the college level, and a bigger talent pool. Im just saying that the one and done rule will benefit the mid-majors also, if not more. They have more time with the talent they get. Don't forget about the mid-majors they get better talent with the age rule on the NBA. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well guys, gals, and all my pals....I guess time will only tell.....I can see you all are just as hard headed as I am, so I don't think anyone is going to talk anyone into anything.....I would like to know Borders, how often is often, because I feel a wager coming on....Anonymous, your just repeating yourself...I get your point....

    ReplyDelete