Friday, April 16, 2010

The Best of the Best..


It feels like its been forever since I have graced your computer screen with my infinite wisdom, or lack there of. If you have read my opinion pieces before you know I love controversy! This post will be no different and i'm sure you, your pal, your neighbor, and even your baby cousin will probably disagree, but that's what makes this so fun, and I hope to hear your opinions'.


Now lets get to the good stuff! With the NBA playoffs coming up next week, I started pondering on some of the "NBA stallions" I have watched in the past, great players I have watched have incredible games, and lead their teams to history. Being 25 years old, I have seen game-winners, game-missers, and saw some get late game-jitters.


I have decided to turn the "sports blog world" on its ear, and give you my Top Five NBA Players that I have "seen" in my short time on this earth. For some of the older readers I hope to see yours as well, and that goes for the younger readers as well. I will go in descending order starting with 5 and going to 1.



5. Larry Bird- The "Hick from French Lick" was silky smooth. Bird could do it all on the court, he, of course, could shoot; when he walked in the gym you better find him, or it could be a long night. His miraculous passes, just when a defender thought he had good position on Bird and "stopped the ball", Larry Legend would pull a shoestring pass to Parish, Johnson, McHale, etc. and make the defense look as if they were standing in quicksand. Always a joy to watch him and Magic Johnson in the 80's.


4. Magic Johnson- He made "showtime" in L.A. When the Lakers came on a fast break in the 80's you better watch out! Johnson was one in a million, he could handle, post up smaller guards, and could make the hardest play look rudimentary. Magic was 6'9 and was the first "Taller" point guard I had ever seen. He had the body of a power forward, with the ball skills of a guard. Johnson and Bird made the 80's "must see" basketball.



3. Shaquille O'Neal- Never has a center came in the league and dominated like Shaq did since the days of Russell and Chamberlin. Shaq was 110% power basketball! Brilliant post moves, an excellent defensive presence, an eye for rebounding, and just an intimidating presence in the paint. With his numerous titles and big heart, Shaq was and still is, a lot of fun to watch. He literally brought weightlifting into the NBA. Why you might ask? No one could guard him, so centers' power forwards', etc. had to get stronger or "The Diesel" would push them all over the court.



2. Kobe Bryant- The "Diva" of the NBA is undeniably a great player. He mirrors Michael Jordan with his all-around play. I'm not a huge Bryant fan, but he is a winner! Bryant has an uncanny ability to put the ball in the hoop and now in his later years, he gets other teammates involved. He has learned to be unselfish and play "team" basketball. I would describe Bryant as a player who evolved from a talented scorer to an all-around dynamo. Look at his hands, he has the rings to prove it.




1. Michael Jordan- If I was to put a video of the game of basketball in a time capsule for the future, it would be an hour of his "Airness" playing the game. He was the complete player on the court, with his offensive presence, he did things unimaginable with basketball in his hands, came through in the clutch time and time again, and made the people that played around him better. On the defensive end, he was just as tenacious. He would guard the best player on the court, be counted on to score, distribute, and could handle pressure brilliantly. I loved to watch Michael Jeffery Jordan play the game! He truly he is the greatest of all-time!



- Now I know, some of you are saying "Where's LeBron?" Yes, he is amazing and yes, I love to watch him play. In my opinion however, I want to see him play at a high-level as long as the guys I have mentioned on this post and I want to see him win a ring. When he does that I will most likely move him up. I can't wait to see your top 5, leave it in the comment box, and let me hear the ridicule. The thrill of debate, you got to love it!!


Until Next Time, Adios!

16 comments:

  1. Michael Jordan
    Kobe Bryant
    Shaq
    Magic Johnson
    LeBron James

    I don't really care about rings and championships. Personally, I would rather be a great player on a bad team then an okay player on a good team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good opinion, I differ, but apprecaite the honesty....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Larry Bird
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Micheal Jordan
    4. Kareem Abdul Jabar
    5. Dr. J Julius Irving

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Wilt Chamberlain-Totally revolutionized the game
    2. Michael Jordan
    3. Oscar Robertson
    4. Kareem
    5. Jerry West

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could've seen kareem in his prime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have seen Wilt "The Stilt" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really remember Magic and Bird so I'll go with...

    5. Lebron
    4. Hakeem - for what he was able to do in Jordan's absence and his remarkable defense around the rim
    3. Shaq
    2. Kobe
    1. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Hakeem shoutout! I liked him more than Shaq until he retired.

    I really wish Bird and Magic would've been around a few years longer, as I barely remember watching them.

    If you get a minute, watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8&playnext_from=TL&videos=MRFYw6gs70g

    Bird scores 22 points in a game with his left hand!

    If we're going strictly on players we've been alive long enough to watch...

    5. Kobe
    4. Shag
    3. Lebron
    2. Bird
    1. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to go with players I have seen, because then it just becomes a statistical debate.....Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I have seen guys who are better than what stats can show, so a player maybe better than another according to the eye test, but the others statistics are better....I like the eye test....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elton Brand
    Shane Battier
    Grant Hill
    Christian Laettner
    Cherokee Parks

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can honestly say that was the first time I ever seen the word " rudimentary "

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. MJ
    2. Kobe
    3. Lebron
    4. Shaq
    5. tie.Olajuwan/Mailman

    ReplyDelete